Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Korean Traditions

My friend A's daughter is turning 100 days old on Saturday.  I know what you're all thinking... 100 days?  Really?  Well, this is a Korean celebration that goes back to centuries ago when childhood diseases were common and the survival rate for children was very low.  The 100th day meant that the child made it.  And it was a huge celebration.  This is the first big milestone for Korean children. 

The next big milestone in Korean culture is the Tol - the first birthday.  One year old.  At this celebration there is a special even called the toljabee.  During this event, several items are placed in front of the child for them to pick from.  Traditionally, Koreans think that the first thing the child grabs foresees the child's future.  Different items signify different things.  Some common items include:
  • thread - long life
  • money or rice - wealth
  • books - successful scholar
  • pen - wisdom and writer
  • stethoscope - doctor
  • balls - athlete
  • knife - good cook
Last week, A told me about her 1st birthday and what she grabbed.  Her mom had put the traditional items - thread, money, rice, books, toys, pens- and then threw in some clothes. If you know A, you know that she is a diva.  She loves make up and fashion, is a former Redskin's cheerleader and was Ms. Popular in high school.   What do you think she grabbed?  The clothes, right?  Wrong.  She went for the pen; that meant wisdom and writer.  Would you like to know what A does for a living?  She's a journalist and does live segments for Fox 5.  Her choice was right on. 

After A's story, everyone was super interested in this tradition.  And I, being the only other Korean friend in our group, was next to tell my story.  My parents put the traditional items on the table - books, toys, rice, thread, money.  My mom says she wanted to add a stethoscope because she wanted a doctor in the family but alas, she did not have one.  Wanna know what I grabbed?  I reached for the books.  Scholarly.  And, as you all know, I'm a teacher. Pretty cool, right?

After that night, I was curious to know about my siblings.  So I asked my parents about my sister.  Well, they couldn't remember.  But, since she's a teacher I would assume she reached for the books, as well.  Then I asked about my brother.  Guess what he grabbed.  He went for the money.  Why am I not surprised by this?  And if you know my brother, you wouldn't be surprised by that either. 

**on a side note:  my mom is still really mad at herself for not adding the stethoscope.  There was a moment in time when my mom THOUGHT my future wasn't going to be based around books.  In high school I was an athletic trainer and went into college a pre-med student... but as fate would have it, I changed majors and went the education route.  Sorry mom.  False alarm.  I, to this day, wonder what would of happened had a stethoscope been present.

No comments:

Post a Comment