Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Singing and Such

My roommate and I have been catching up on Glee the past two days.  It got me to thinking about my JMU days when acapella groups were THE SHIT.  I mean, there were other things to do; party, study, party, create fraternities for smart people, party, karaoke, 25 cent wings, party.  But most girls will probably say that acapella groups were definitely in their rotation of things/people to do. 

The biggest one during my 4 years there was Madison Project.  That's who everyone swooned over.  Every one except me.  Yes, they were extremely talented, hands down the best acapella group at JMU.  Yes, the men in there were tall and blond and muscular.  But no, I was not into them as much as the other girls.  My heart belonged to Exit 245... the underdogs.  These were the guys that tried out for Madison Project but, for some reason or other, they didn't get in.. so they started their own.

They were still good.  Their song choices were still good.  They had a very big following and the guys in the group were good looking.  Maybe not as All American looking as Madison Project, but very attractive nonetheless.  The real reason why I loved Exit 245 was because of their leader.  We shall call him Vampire (my roommate back then, C, thought he looked like a vampire because he had super dark hair and really white skin - the Edward Cullen before Edward Cullen).  Vampire was so cute. And his voice was like butter.  My favorite was when he would sing U2 ::swoon::.  Was I obsessed with him?  No.  But I tried not to miss any of their performances.

My freshman year at JMU was when I was first introduced to them (obviously).  My roommate at the time, R, was an amazing singer - still is to this day.  And she tried out for the girl acapella group and got into it.  She was the one who dragged me to all the shows.  And I loved it!  I mean, who wouldn't?  Can you imagine a more perfect afternoon then finishing all your classes for the day, grabbing an iced coffee from Java City, sitting on the quad under the warm sun listening to hot men singing on the step of Wilson Hall?  Heaven, I tell ya.  But I digress.

The following year after R and I decided not to room together, my high school friend C and I decided to move to the quad.  The first day we walked into Spotswood Hall to meet our new RA's, I ran smack dab into Vampire.  And I peed my pants a little bit.  He was adorable.  And he was going to be my RA.  It's fate, right?  No.  Nothing ever happened because I realized how much of a nerd he was.  I started attending the concerts less and less and became more interested in the baseball and basketball teams, consecutively.  I saw him every once in a while and would go to the all acapella group blow out shows to see my old roommate, R.  And, naturally, he was there still doing his thing.  But a sall crushes come and go, this crush faded fast. 

Fast forward a few years later when I was at a romantic birthday dinner for my BF at the time.  And as luck would have it, who was sat at the table right next to me?  Vampire.  And he looked even better than before.  You know those men that get better with age?  He's definitely one of them.  And we locked eyes and gave each other a "hey, I think I know you" look but did nothing.  See, he was there was a girl and I was there with my boy.  Damn.  He was adorable.  And probably still has his amazing part.  And it wasn't until a few year ago that I started to enjoy me a nerd.  Athletes, as we've all experienced, are playas.  The nerds?  The nerds will treat you right. 

I don't know how it turned from Glee into this, but it did.  And it feels right so just go with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment