Sunday, December 9, 2012

Come on People!!

My front headlight went out the other day and I finally got around to buying a new bulb to fix it.  I went into Advance Auto Parts and was immediately greeted by a worker.  Very good customer service.  He quickly found what it was that I needed on the computer, fetched it and I paid him the $15 and change for what I owed... but not before asking me if I had someone who was going to switch the bulb.  I told him my dad would do it and he gave me some very good advice about wearing gloves to prevent finger oils from burning and breaking the bulb.  Thanks, good sir.

I got home and my dad helped me (note helped and not did for me) change the bulb.  Problem - the bulb didn't fit.  So, off I went down the road back to Advanced Auto Parts to exchange the bulb.  Upon entering the store, the staff recognized me (as I had only just left 10 minutes prior).  The man that helped me yelled out:
"Forgot to wear the gloves, didn't you?"... obviously he was joking.

To which I replied:
"Nope.  It doesn't fit!  It's the wrong one!"   This is when all three of the workers came over to help me. 

Now, I'm usually very friendly about things like this.  Shit happens. I get it.  As long as I wasn't hurt then it was a mistake and as long as they fixed it, no worries.  I would also like to say that I like to make jokes and tease people... and I appreciate when people either respond well to it or join in with me.  Here went the rest of the exchange. 

Man 1:  Can you tell me what's wrong with it?  The computer said it was this one.
Me:  Sure.  But I brought the old one in so you can compare.
Man 2:  Well, if you have the old one I can just go get the correct one.
Man 2 to Man 3:  Dude, we need to update the system.  The computer told me the wrong item.
Man 1 to me:  Sorry ma'am.  Looks like it was the computer's fault.
Me:  Not a problem. 
Man 3:  It's not the computer's fault.  What brand is the car?
Man 2:  It's an Acura.
Man 3:  Oh, that's the problem.  They are always changing their equipment.
Me (joking):  So now it's my fault?
Man 3:  No.  It's Acura's fault
Me (joking) to Man 1, 2, 3:  Damn Asians!

At this point Man 1, who is behind the register, looks at me with half a smile and half a confused look on his face... a face that said "I think she's joking, but I can't tell if can I laugh at this." Then all 3 of the men came over and just stared at me because I'm not sure they could tell if I was Asian or not.  So I just smiled at them and they smiled back.  Awkward.  Come on people!  It was supposed to be funny!  

And then they had to pay be 5 dollars back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment